Day 1 of My Home Tour: The Parlor

Hi, Kelly’s Korner’s visitors!  Welcome to Our Old Southern House, a blog where I talk about my family, our old house we lovingly restored, the family farm, and sewing.  Feel free to check out my blog {today’s entry was on my fall vegetable garden and pictures from yesterday on the farm} or the ‘after’ section which features all our renovations on our 135-year old home!

dsc_0867_0002.jpg

Edited in September to show my!new!rug!:

new rug

And you know I always keep it real–that’s why C.’s dirt bike boots are laying in the floor because that’s where they sit 99.9% of the time.  Men!

Our parlor has been used as a formal sitting room, a living room, a doctor’s waiting room, and an examination/surgery room over its lifespan.  Today it’s one of the rooms we use the least except at Christmas when we put our Christmas tree in front of the picture window.

Yesterday I showed you this picture.

dsc_0214_0030-1.jpg

Here are the details I mentioned.

parlor-new-car-playing-outside_0012.jpg

parlor-new-car-playing-outside_0009.jpg

A Bakelite clock.  Old books.  My baby shower invitation {I actually got to attend my own baby shower–how cool is that?!}

parlor-new-car-playing-outside_0011.jpg

A picture of my great-grandmother, Lennie Thaxton Allen.  An antique abacus.  Lace from C.’s family.  My McCoy wishing well.  An 1850s railroad map of Georgia and Alabama {Atlanta wasn’t even a city yet}.

parlor-new-car-playing-outside_0010.jpg

My grandfather’s WWII Garrison Cap and his spectacles.

parlor-new-car-playing-outside_0001.jpg

C.’s “man chair” with my Georgia pillow.  The framed certificate is Alpharetta High School’s FFA charter from 1932.

parlor-new-car-playing-outside_0002.jpg

Panoramic photographs of Savannah (1950s) and Flamenco Beach, Culebra {Puerto Rico barrier island} in the 1910s.  We’ve been to Culebra twice and it’s amazing to me how similar the island looks now to the above picture.  It hasn’t changed at all.

parlor-new-car-playing-outside_0015.jpg

A Victorian organ I gave C. for Christmas in 2007.  I bought it at a local yard sale.  The stool came off ebay.  The framed map is an 1830s map of Georgia.

parlor-new-car-playing-outside_0003.jpg

My grandparents on their wedding day, Christmas Eve 1949.  A family heirloom mustache cup.

parlor-new-car-playing-outside_0004.jpg

A spool of thread (it belonged to my Aunt Martha)  in a dome that needs some serious cleaning (ha!).

parlor-new-car-playing-outside_0005.jpg

I didn’t get a picture of the drapes in this room.  They’re made of burlap, puddle on the floor, and have French Pleats at the top.  I love when you mix rustic with a more sophisticated room like a parlor–and burlap is just perfect.

parlor-new-car-playing-outside_0006.jpg

A Victrola that my parents had in their home forever.  It still works when you turn the crank {though it sounds so creepy}.

parlor-new-car-playing-outside_0007.jpg

So I keep it closed and have pictures of–who else–Mary Margaret!

parlor-new-car-playing-outside_0016.jpg

We found this drafting table in the rain at a flea market.  My dad refinished it for us.  I’ve been on the hunt for a matching stool for almost three years now.  Gah!

parlor-new-car-playing-outside_0013.jpg

On the mantle we have this beautiful clock my mother got off ebay for me one Christmas.  Unfortunately, it only has the correct time twice a day–3AM and 3PM–and my goal is to have it fixed one day soon.

new rug

parlor-new-car-playing-outside_0008.jpg

This right here is what sold me on Brogdon House within the first ten seconds.  I love the stained glass transom.

parlor-new-car-playing-outside_0017.jpg parlor-new-car-playing-outside_0014.jpg

Two other original fixtures I love of the parlor–the radiator and the summer screen (there’s a matching fireplace, including summer screen, in the dining room).

And what would a tour be without the before and during pictures??

the-parlor.jpg

This is how the parlor looked when we bought the house.  The picture doesn’t show it, but the ceilings had been dropped to 8 feet.

beforestudy1.jpg

The first night we owned the house C. took a hammer to those ceilings.  I will never forget coming home {I was getting my historic preservation masters at night at the time} to find him covered in “black stuff” as he called it.  Turns out it was rat poop–I’ll never forget his shocked face when I told him what was all over him–HA!

livingroom1a.jpg

When we took down the ceiling we discovered the original color and picture & crown molding.  We decided we had to match the color.

parlor2.jpg

We also discovered some horrible plaster.

parlor3.jpg

My dad hand sanded, primed, and painted ALL of the 12′ ceilings in the house.  I tried one day to help him and I barely could do a 4′ x 4′ area and I was worn out.  He was such a trooper during our whirlwind restoration.

parlor5.jpg

The first stage of refinishing the hardwood floors.

It was a lot of work to get the room back to its “original” state, but so much fun.  It was one of the less fussier rooms–just a bit of electrical, no plumbing, and already had a heating vent (but no AC).  And I loved this room because it is the first one Miss Eleanor showed us when we came to look at the house.  As they say, ‘It had me at hello’.

15 Responses to Day 1 of My Home Tour: The Parlor

1. Anita May 24, 2010 at 9:09 pm #

You certainly have some fabulous pieces of history! I love the panoramic pictures. But those ceilings, wow, why would anyone make them shorter! Oh and I love that you have your grandfathers cap and spectacles!

2. Natalie May 24, 2010 at 9:11 pm #

hi anita!
    …heating bills. and i’m sure it did cut down on ’em too considering what ours are now! haha

3. Jill May 24, 2010 at 9:36 pm #

Wow. You have some great pieces. You do a great job of putting it all together. I feel that if I were to do that it would just look like a whole bunch of junk. lol

Also, great job on the house restoration. I know how much of a pain it can be. My boyfriend bought a house (built in 1930) and we figured there was hardwood under the carpet. There sure was and we refinished it before he moved in. Hard work, but worth it!!

4. Krisa May 24, 2010 at 9:56 pm #

Beautiful! I wish I had your flare for antiques! Have you read Mary Kay Andrews? You’d love her – she writes about Georgia restoration in fiction!

5. Natalie May 25, 2010 at 6:25 am #

krisa-
    yes, i’ve been reading her for years. my mother + i actually went on a beach trip with her a few years ago!

6. Shelia May 25, 2010 at 7:47 am #

Hi and what a wonderful historic home you have with all the wonderful treasures! Everything looks fabulous how you’ve put it all together.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia 😉

7. Marty@A Stroll thru Life May 25, 2010 at 10:47 am #

Oh my, your home is just gorgeous. I love all of your antiques, each one is stunning. Wow, raising all those ceilings, but what a wonderful difference it made. Just so pretty. Thanks so much for joining the party. Hugs, Marty

8. Jamie May 25, 2010 at 1:20 pm #

I love that you are doing this! Your house is beautiful. Why didn’t I notice that you have so many antiques and heirlooms when I was over? But I’m not surprised. I still want to tag along to Scotts one day with you.

9. Chris Howard May 25, 2010 at 2:41 pm #

You have some lovely antiques! I am so jealous of your summer fireplace screen. I have four fireplaces here (I live in a 100 year old pyramidal folk vic) and not a single screen.

Where did you get that neat Georgia pillow?

10. Natalie May 25, 2010 at 3:53 pm #

jamie…that’s because we spent most of the time in my tiny kitchen…hehe
    and we’ll definitely be going to scotts one weekend this summer–i’ll definitely email you!
    chris–out of 6 fireplaces we have two summer screens…we have yet to take them off and clean–they’re wedged in there pretty good! the state pillow is by cat studios. i got it at swoozie’s. you can also order them at: http://www.topnotchgiftshop.com/hand-embroidered-accent-pillows—state-collection.html
    they have an ‘atlanta’ one i want SOOOO bad: http://www.2catstudio.com/atlanta.html

11. Jane F @ Atticmag May 25, 2010 at 5:00 pm #

Your home and things are lovely and I always enjoy seeing old family pictures. What an adventure restoring that room! How lucky you are to have such a talented dad. Jane F

12. Lisa May 25, 2010 at 7:57 pm #

My husband has that same clock, and it doesn’t work, either!

13. Chris Howard May 26, 2010 at 12:03 pm #

Thanks Natalie! Did you see that you can order the Atlanta design as a dish towel? Maybe you could buy that and make it into a pillow, you clever girl!

14. Natalie May 26, 2010 at 2:19 pm #

that IS a good idea. i wonder if it’s screen printed or embroidered…hmmm..probably screen printed. oh well, i better it’s cheaper at least! HA!

15. The Summer Kitchen Girls May 26, 2010 at 11:03 pm #

oh my….aren’t we enchanted with your house 🙂 We both live in old homes and love hearing other’s stories. Those ceilings….wow! How fantastic is that! Thanks for showing us your work (we could look all day!) oh – love your choice of accessories as well!!
    Karla & Karrie