My Favorite Room

Kelly’s Korner Visitors: You can check out my blog by clicking here!

There are many rooms in this old house of ours.  Rooms to sleep in, rooms to take baths in, rooms to play in, rooms to eat in, rooms to just look at, and rooms for future babies.

My favorite room is our living room.  I really think it’s the heart of our home and where we spend the majority of our time.

When we bought Brogdon House it was actually a guest bedroom.  We decided that five bedrooms were enough for us and converted this sixth bedroom into a living room.  It was the only room in the house that still had its hardwood floors uncovered.  It had pink wallpaper (and cracks in the plaster), a dropped drywall ceiling, and pink drapes.

the-living-room.jpg

beforelivingroom11.jpg

livingroom1b.jpg

We tore out the dropped ceiling, replaced the plaster, and refinished the floors.  We exchanged the 1970s ceiling fan with something a little more modern.  I saw these drapes in a ‘Cottage Living’ article and had my seamstress copy them (they’re hemp, by the way).

dsc_0231_0038.jpg

And the furniture…this room actually has less antiques than the rest of our house.  In fact, other than one of our beds and MM’s crib it holds ALL the non-antiques we own.  And they are: the corner cabinet (my grandparents’ first piece of furniture), a 1920s rocker that is original to the house, and a 19th-century English sideboard (not shown).  And some other odds and ends like an old fruit shipping crate, some photographs, a tobacco drying rack, radios, watches, etc.  The rest of the big stuff is all “new”–well, as in the last few years “new”.

dsc_0230_0037-1.jpg

Then there’s the toys and books.  My my, how they have taken over our life!  The antique toolbox to the left of the sofa holds all the extra books since the playroom and her bedroom are full and the big green basket to the right of the sofa holds all the overflow toys.

new old tool box_0001

The living room mantle showcases of a painting we had commissioned by a local artist when we bought Brogdon House.  She actually painted it the weekend before we closed on the house.  For some reason I love that about it.

livingroommantle.jpg

Thanks for stopping by on this little tour!

dsc_0231_0038.jpg

8 Responses to My Favorite Room

1. debbie May 1, 2010 at 9:42 pm #

I love this historic old world feeling you have here. All the colors are so warm and welcoming. You did a great job on this transformation, it did not look like fun though!

2. Rebecca May 1, 2010 at 10:18 pm #

What a beautiful room. It seems so comfy and cozy and family friendly. I think the baskets of toys add to that “lived in” feel 😉 Saw you at Poppies at Play.

3. Andy Porter May 1, 2010 at 11:38 pm #

Yay! I’m so glad you linked! What a cool room! I love seeing the transformation! It looks fantastic, and I think it’s really neat that you had that picture commissioned. What a perfect addition to the room!

Thanks for joining the parade!
    XOXO,
    Andy

4. Mimi May 2, 2010 at 9:18 am #

I still say that your house needs to be on tour of homes! It is so beautiful!!!!! Can’t believe we did all of the renovation in 47 days.
    Love you

5. Kara May 5, 2010 at 7:15 pm #

This room is beautiful! I got to your website (maybe from a comment on Darby or Erika’s page) and have since been stalking your archives and admiring your lovely house. I hope I can own a home like this one some day. I love old, southern charm.

And your daughter is uh-dorable as well!

6. Natalie May 5, 2010 at 9:02 pm #

awww, thanks ladies for the sweet comments!! they made my day. and kara? thanks for delurking! 🙂

7. margaret sams May 7, 2010 at 9:59 am #

Nat, I love that room too. Think you and some of your friends should get together with some of the influential Buford Ladies, the Garden Club maybe and the Women’s Club and set up “A Tour of Homes” maybe during Christmas getting several homes to participate ! Go for it, Girl ! lovea ya, m

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Our Old Southern House » Blog Archive » A Week of Room Tours - May 23, 2010

[…] already seen the living room and mudroom, so here’s the schedule for this […]