My Perfect, Little, Southern Hometown

I live in a great place.  {You can see a walk I took with my then-puppy, Vivi, around town by clicking here}

3buford.jpg

And a place where my family has lived since the 1830s.  They came here from Ireland via Charleston.

My whole family is here, it seems.  My mother went to the same elementary school as me and I was taught by two cousins.  My dad and mom both went to my high school.  My grandparents went to a neighboring (and our rival) school.  At the church where I grew up I was basically related to everyone there.

hometown1921.jpg

And then there’s the whole “they’re not family, but we’ve known them for 100 years” people in my little town.  That is how we got our house, after all, because I had so much family here that knew the woman selling.

I cannot go to Walmart or to dinner or to the movies without seeing countless people I know.

And I love that.  And I love that Mary Margaret is going to grow up experiencing the same things I did.  Not only is this my hometown, but it’s now her hometown too.  And I think we’re pretty dang lucky.

9 Responses to My Perfect, Little, Southern Hometown

1. Jennifer Tomlin May 21, 2010 at 7:14 am #

Hi! Saw your link on Kelly’s Korner and thought I would check out your blog. We live in Georgia too- over in Dacula. My oldest daughter went to preschool in downtown Buford- I loved driving around and looking at all the houses. Your house looks great and your daughter is a cutie!

2. doodlesbylauren May 21, 2010 at 8:24 am #

I just arrived via KELLY’s, and I love your lovely southern story! Your home (and it’s own story) is stunning! And what is a beautiful story without a beautiful family (your dog is BEAUTIFUL and I love your daughter’s name)! We live in a very small farming community where our neighbors are family and horse and buggy are tied up at the local dentist office. I wouldn’t change it for the world! Love your blog!

3. Melissa Lash May 21, 2010 at 9:03 am #

I feel the same way, but my family doesn’t have quite the history! We are taking our 12 month photos in downtown Buford this weekend! I can’t wait! I like that we live in the same city I grew up in!

4. Beth May 21, 2010 at 9:49 am #

What a fun post!! I love all your pictures!! Your blog is too cute! Happy Friday!

5. Ocean Mommy May 21, 2010 at 10:54 am #

I LOVE Buford!! We live over in Dacula and I saw your link on Kelly’s blog. 🙂 Small world!

Going to check out your old house. I SO want to live in an old home one day.

Blessings!
    stephanie

6. chelsa May 21, 2010 at 11:34 am #

sounds just like me 🙂

7. Kimberly May 21, 2010 at 4:26 pm #

Came by your site via Kelly’s Korner. I live in Buford as well and i love old houses -we lived in one in downtown Lawrenceville several years ago, the history is fun. I too have a little girl about to turn 2 and I teach -too funny. I will have to drive by your house some time and see it –

8. Gincy May 21, 2010 at 4:49 pm #

totally off the subject-where did you take MM to swimming lessons last year? I have a friend that lives up your way and we were talking about it today.

9. Natalie May 21, 2010 at 6:45 pm #

jennifer–that’s where i want mary margaret to go–buford united methodist. she’ll start doing m.m.o. in aug. ’11. 🙂
    lauren–thanks for stopping by. when i was growing up i remember people riding horses on the road behind my house. now all that land is subdivisions…so sad.
    melissa–i’m going to send you a google map link i made for my photographer friend karen w/all the good places in buford we use. 🙂
    stephanie–small world! i say my family is from buford, but they’re actually from hog mountain..they founded that area.
    kimberly–yay for buford! i live off shadburn across from downtown. 🙂
    gincy–@ bogan park. we had ms heather for our instructor.