When Good Pineapple Goes Bad

…”Bad” meaning 100% total yumminess, of course.

My whole family went to Hawaii in 1995.  My most vivid memory–other than the very long plane ride–was going to visit a pineapple plantation on Oahu.  We took a tour around the farm on horseback and at the end we got to eat fresh-from-the-field pineapple.

If someone were to ask me to name my most favorite meal of my life I would say it was eating pineapple that day.  Huge, juicy chunks of golden goodness.

It was topped only moments later.By chocolate-covered pineapple.  Oh.my.lord.  I still get all warm and tingly thinking about it.

I ate so much pineapple that it “burned” my taste buds and I couldn’t taste anything for a week.  But you know what?  It was worth it.This week while at Costco picking up a big tub of garlic cloves and pounds of mushrooms, I spied whole pineapples on sale for $2.99.

I couldn’t stop myself.  Who cares if I have never cut apart a whole pineapple!

pineapple_0001

I tackled the pineapple last night following sage advice of Facebook friends: use a sharp knife.  I choose to use a serrated knife and I really liked how it cut through it.

pineapple_0002I lobbed off the top and bottom–like an onion.pineapple_0003pineapple_0004Then I cut the hard, spiney outside off in long slices.pineapple_0005I tried to make them into cubes.  I sort of did.pineapple_0006I let them sit in the fridge overnight and the next afternoon I made the chocolate.  Oh yes, chocolate-covered pineapple.Unfortunately, they are not the most eye-appealing chocolate-covered pineapple I’ve ever seen, but man-oh-man, they’re delish.pineapple_0000

8 Responses to When Good Pineapple Goes Bad

1. Jenna Brown June 26, 2010 at 5:27 pm #

It’s hard to believe it’s been that long since we went to Hawaii. That was a fun trip to the plantation. I remember my whole family jumping right up on the horses and mawmaw and mimi still weren’t quite sure about them. Great times! The pineapple looks amazing. Where did you come up with that idea?

2. Lisa June 26, 2010 at 7:49 pm #

I bought a fresh pineapple at the fruit market this week too! I’ve never cut a fresh one either! I’m going to fire up the grill and grill some rings. I think I’ll eat the rest of it plain though, rather than chocolate covered.

3. mandy June 26, 2010 at 8:19 pm #

A couple weeks ago..Wal-mart had there pineapples for 94 cents they were SOOOO juicy and sweet..I bought 3 and cut them up for Hubby…he LOVES them..I had never heard of chocolate covered ones though, told hubby and he wants them now…lol

4. Natalie June 26, 2010 at 9:08 pm #

jen- where’d i come up with it? my stomach! haha
    lisa- i saved half that’s still plain. oh my yummy. i love grilled pineapple rings on top of terayki (sp?) chicken.
    mandy- 94 cents?! my gosh! my family would be eating pineapple for a week at a price like that! 🙂

5. mandy June 26, 2010 at 10:28 pm #

yeah, I couldn’t believe it..saw people everywhere with buggies full and was like ok..something is going on with pineapples..lol so saw they were 94 cents and got them..of course now they are almost 3 bucks! They also had there strawberries for 98cents that day for the reg packs..it was a good fruit day

6. Ali D. June 27, 2010 at 8:54 am #

Heavens to Betsy! That looks delicious! Our favorite pineapple treat is to baste it with melted butter and brown sugar and grill it up on the grill. Oh pineapple, how we love thee!

PS. You are just so sweet to send us something in the mail–I will do cartwheels every afternoon as I go check the mail…thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

7. Jess June 27, 2010 at 7:12 pm #

What an amazing treat! I’ve never thought to do chocolate-covered pineapple… Have you tried fresh pineapple dipped in brown sugar? I thought that was the closest thing to heaven, but now I’ll have to try the chocolate!

8. aunt margaret June 28, 2010 at 3:20 pm #

Nat, plant the top of that [pineapple even iif you already trashed it ! Plop it into a pot iof potting soil…cover only up to the green part–water lightly. It will take root n just a very few weeks. The pineapple is a sign of “welcome” you know ! Would be so pretty on that nice brick walkway..up close to the house ! You’re welcome !!