Owl Apron Reveal and More Sewing Talk

So, tomorrow we’re headed up to Nashville for a few days.  I’m in a skirting couture {sewing} workshop with Anna!Maria!Horner! at the Frist on Saturday and Sunday while my parents and grandmother watch MM and explore the town.  We’re going to the Grand Ole Opry on Saturday night, but other than that we’re pretty open.

Anybody have any recommendations for things to do or places to eat {we love local hole-in-the-wall type places} around Nashville?  Anyone ever been to Franklin?

We’re all ears!

I’ll be back late Sunday night, but I’m sure there will be pictures up soon after.  I’m praying I don’t embarrass myself–either in person or by my sewing skills.  I have a really big fear of being the worst sewer in the class.  I hear we have to put in an invisible zipper and oh.my.gosh, I hate zippers.  And invisible zippers?  Yikes!

But speaking of sewing, here are some shots of MM’s finished apron.  I really liked how it turned out.  My favorite part is that the “wings” are actually pockets.  I also like how the straps are adjustable and are held on by buttons {antique buttons from my collection}.  The fabrics are all Michael Miller, by the way, except the eyes which are Robert Kaufman {you may remember that fabric from MM’s ice cream dress I made back in June}.

owl apron

owl apron

owl apron

owl apron

I’ve also been busy on a patchwork skirt for MM, a quilt square for AMH’s Rainbow Around the Block quilt-raiser for Nashville flood victims, and a shirt for me.  I’ve never sewn any shirts for me before and it has been an experience, let me tell you!

___________________________________________

Oh, and remember those fish tacos?  I made them again tonight with Mahi-Mahi and you’ve got to try them.  OMG!

fish tacos

9 Responses to Owl Apron Reveal and More Sewing Talk

1. BlueEyedYonder August 26, 2010 at 10:00 pm #

Too stinkin’ cute! Makes me want one in a big girl size 🙂

2. Mimi August 26, 2010 at 10:15 pm #

Oh, my beautiful talented daughter!!! I am so proud of you!!!!!! Can’t wait until this weekend. Love you

3. lane August 27, 2010 at 7:45 am #

CUTEST THING EVER!!!!!

4. Carrie Davis August 27, 2010 at 8:05 am #

That is the cutest!!! Have fun at your workshop. I’ve been to Franklin – it’s super cute 🙂

5. Krisa August 27, 2010 at 10:40 am #

Oh my goodness – cutest thing EVER!

6. Jennifer Campbell (jencamp526) August 27, 2010 at 11:45 pm #

I think you would like the Loveless Cafe. (www.loveless.com) or Jack’s Bbq on Broadway (this place has been featured on the food network) its on Broadway about 1-2 miles from the Frist. While your closeby to Jack’s you might take in Tootsies Orchid Lounge where many country stars got their start. Its really a dive but interesting little place.
    Monells is also a good local place, http://www.monellstn.com/

This weekend is also a big bbq fest downtown so there is plenty of good food!! (1st avenue – riverfront park area)

I work in Franklin. There are some good shopping places there and tons of restaurants (mostly chains). Green Hills is a little closer to downtown and has excellent shopping (Pottery Barn, Apple Store, etc.)

If you have time or the parents want to take MM for fun, there is the Adventure Science Museum with lots of hands on learning close to downtown.

Hope y’all have a great time in Music City!!

7. Cricket August 29, 2010 at 10:36 am #

Wish I saw this post earlier! I think you could spend a whole day if not weekend in Franklin alone. There are so many antique stores, a toy store on Main St for M. Recently we went to 55 South on Main St, which had the best sweet potato fries EVER. They have another restaurant connected to it called SOL so we could order from two menus – very cool and delicious. Down the road is The Factory which is an indoor shopping center that is perfect when needing to escape the heat. There is also a store in Cool Springs (on the way to Franklin) that sells Amy Butler fabrics… I think. Also on the way to Franklin, stop in Brentwood at the Puffy Muffin for a fabulous lunch. The strip mall has some really cute shops too. Have fun.

8. Cricket August 29, 2010 at 10:42 am #

You may already know but Bell Buckle has some craft shows coming up so that combined with Franklin would be a super busy weekend – you may have to make a week of it:

WEBB SCHOOL ARTS AND CRAFT SHOW
    October 16 & 17, 2010 931.389.9663

DOWNTOWN ART AND CRAFT SHOW
    October 16 & 17, 2010 931.359.8000

HIGH STREET ART AND CRAFT SHOW
    October 16 & 17, 2010 423.790.4493

MAPLE STREET ART AND CRAFT SHOW

9. k a t y September 2, 2010 at 9:48 am #

That is almost too clever and cute to use as an apron. Great work!

katy