His Story.

It’s funny writing this birth story.  With Mary Margaret I felt like her birth story was just as much mine since it was my body and all.  But Moseby’s?  I don’t know.  Something about it–the fact that I was even allowed to be a part of it–makes me treasure this story for my boy.  Makes me hold parts of it in my heart just for my son.

When I made his birth mother’s quilt I told y’all that words failed me.  And that is so true for this birth story and the pure love I feel for his birth mother.

And I’m sorry if I don’t do this story justice because y’all…words fail me.


Our birth mom had been having pains for a couple of weeks.  It turns out that it was her body stretching her pelvis to make it wider for the baby.  By 37 weeks the baby had dropped.  By 38 weeks she was 1cm and 75% effaced.  The doctor could feel the top of the baby’s head.

And just like that, one day the pains went away.  She felt better than she had in weeks.  That was Thursday, January 23rd.

On Saturday morning (38 weeks, 5 days) I checked my email and there was an email from our birth mom.  She said that she was having consistent pains every thirty minutes since the night before.  They had even woken her up in the middle of the night and that morning they were still there.

It was promising, but because of all the aches and pains she had experienced already, we didn’t think much of it.

A little after lunch I received another email from her saying the contractions were now fifteen minutes apart.  Now that got our heart racing–they’re getting closer! So we called my husband’s aunt {a doctor} and a close family friend {a doctor}.  One said to head on out for the 4.5 hour trip, the other said to wait and see.  Both believed it was the start of real labor though.

And I’d like to think that I was all happy, bubbly, and excited.  But I wasn’t.  I just honestly couldn’t believe that it was really happening.  And every time I would get excited I would instantly feel nervous and scared.  I couldn’t think about the possibility of her changing her mind.

Thankfully C. wasn’t anxious like me.  Nope, he happily–and quickly–loaded our little family and our luggage into the car to drop off MM at her grandparents and we were on our way.

As we chatted on the way down there the nervousness and anxiousness slowly melted away.  By hour two I was so excited I could just burst.  Our baby was coming!  The one we had tried for for 36 cycles was about to be here!  In my arms!

We got to our destination around 6:30 and when we called our birth mom to tell her she said that her husband had just dropped off her at the hospital.  We checked into a cheap hotel and headed over.

We waited in the lobby as she went back to be checked.  Two hours later she came out and said her contractions were now twelve minutes apart but she was only 3cm so they wouldn’t keep her.

We took her home and headed back to the hotel.  We didn’t know what the next day hold–we joked about how this might be our little “vacation” and that we would be headed back home the next day since this appeared to be a false alarm.

Imagine my surprise when just two hours after we went to sleep a phone call made us sit straight up in bed at 1:30am.  The contractions were now 5-7 minutes apart and she couldn’t breathe through them.

Yep…show time!

We made our way to her in that small Southern town black night, the only car on the road.  We brought her back to the hospital and I was allowed to go back with her while C. waited in the ER waiting room.

She was now 4 centimeters and since she was making progress the nurses decided to admit her.  Eventually her husband and C. came in and we made small talk.  As the hours ticked back she would get checked and by 5:30am she was just 5 centimeters.  The anesthesiologist came in to give her an epidural, but was unable to do so.  I think we all about cried when we heard that since the contractions were hurting her so and she had a long way to go.

When she was still 5cm at 7am the nurse said the doctor prescribed Pitocin to speed things along.  {And boy did it ever!  She went from 5cm to 10cm in just 1.5 hours!}

I look back on the texts I sent my mom and it seemed like ever few minutes I was saying ‘She’s a 5!’ ‘She’s a 6.5!’ ‘She’s a 9 and wants to push!!’

And the pain increased and the contractions lasted longer and longer until her body was just in one long constriction.  She felt the need to push and once the nurse checked her and declared her a 10 the room filled with other nurses {no doc yet} and C. left according to her wishes.  I stood at her head, her husband stood on the other side holding her hand.

Before they even broke down the bed she was pushing and with one large push, out he came, screaming into the world.

And y’all, I lost it.  I tried to hold it together, I really did.  I’ve always been able to be the strong one–the one not to show emotion–but at that moment I couldn’t hold it back.  I sobbed.  There was this beautiful life–our son!–and at the exact same moment I knew this woman–who I had grown to love–was instantaneously going through the hardest moment of her life.  My heart couldn’t bear it.  Then the nurse asked who wanted to cut the cord.  Her husband looked at me and said, ‘Let his mom do it’ and they handed me the scissors.  And with shaky hands and tears falling down my face I cut the cord of my son and walked with the nurse to the little examination area for him in the room.

I stood there crying as the nurse examined him and cleaned him off, every few minutes looking across the room to his birth mom as she waited to deliver the placenta.  I would look at her and cry more.  I tried to give her a look to say, ‘I love you and I thank the Lord for you and I am a blessed woman because of you’.

Our little guy was healthy…and tiny.  18″, a little over six pounds.  Black hair EVERYWHERE {I have never seen so much absolutely adorable back hair in all my life!}.  And I was in love.  Oh my word, head over heels in love with a teeny tiny peanut of a little guy.

day 1 through 3_0028

day 1 through 3_0031

day 1 through 3_0034

When they placed in my arms I melted. He was perfect.

day 1 through 3_0048

Eventually the doctor arrived {thank heaven for qualified nurses} and after the examination was over C. was allowed to come in.  {Those were the hardest thirty or so minutes of my life–standing there beside our son with all these emotions–trying to text C. and my family, wanting him to be there with all that I had.}  We all–the birth mother, her husband, and us–passed that beautiful baby back and forth for an hour until the nurse came to take him to the nursery to check him out.

day 1 through 3_0042

Of course, there is more to Moseby’s story.  The next twenty-four hours were we spent many hours with his birth mother talking, laughing, and holding him in our hospital room {the hospital gave both the birth mom and us our own rooms}.  Getting to meet his birth father {such a happy, wonderful surprise}.  Getting the papers signed.  How when we arrived home at 8:30 that night he had twenty family members waiting on him to love on him and shower him with kisses.

day 1 through 3_0051


And there’s more.  More things that I will save to tell him when he is older.

Here’s one more picture to leave you with…me being put in a wheelchair {per hospital policy} and taken to our car the next day when we were discharged.


So so so blessed to have this {now one week old} little guy in our lives.

first week_0002

6 Responses to His Story.

  1. drena March 4, 2012 at 11:57 pm #

    Beautiful story! So happy for you guys and for Moseby!

  2. Ali Davis March 5, 2012 at 12:03 am #

    Sweet Natalie! Oh I have just sobbed and sobbed reading Moseby’s precious story! What a blessing this tiny baby boy is– extra prayers of thanksgiving being offered up tonight for your dear, dear family (of FOUR)!! Ps. I think your words did anything but fail you- this post is absolutely beautiful!! Thank you for sharing your story!!

  3. Allison Dawson March 5, 2012 at 11:28 am #

    Congratulations to your whole family! I am so happy for you. Soak up every little minute with him! He is precious.

  4. Jess March 5, 2012 at 12:12 pm #

    What a beautiful story! Congratulations (again)!

  5. Cindy Riley March 5, 2012 at 10:29 pm #

    How wonderful that you were there from moment one. Your joyous expression tells the whole story. I love how you captured him ‘smiling’ in the last photo. Too sweet!

  6. Jamie March 6, 2012 at 11:15 pm #

    I was just sitting here in my living room reading Moseby’s story and crying! What a blessing! I’m so happy for your new addition. I loved getting to read his story that you told so beautifully. Congratulations again!

Leave a Reply

Designed by WordPress. Designed and maintained by